Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Winter Running

I think we have 19" of snow right now. That's a lot of snow! The kids had a snow day so we were home all day long. I finally ventured out tonight to go to the grocery store. I was pretty impressed to see that the roads are fairly clear. If it weren't for the 2nd storm on the way, I think I'd be able to go out running tomorrow! Unfortunately, because of the other storm I think running will be put on hold for a day or two. Hopefully, not much more than that.

I'm wondering if most people that consider themselves runners, run all year long? Specifically, if you live in the northeast and have snow to contend with, it can be difficult. Personally, I used to take winters off. I was a fair weather runner. It has only been these last couple of years that I decided to run all winter. Actually, I used to run on the treadmill from time to time in the winter. But, since I've gotten more and more into distance running, I've been running outside all year round. I love going for my Saturday morning long runs. I'm a creature of habit.

Of course, you sometimes have to cut back on your mileage in the winter. It's hard to avoid that. I used to get a little bummed out about that, but I recently came up with a new spin on that..I've decided that it's a good thing to cut back your mileage during the winter a bit. It gives your body some time to recover and/or rest up for the upcoming season. How's that for a positive spin?

Anyway, that little spin helps me to not get too freaked out about missing a run or not being able to run as many miles as I would sometimes like.

I'd be curious to hear what other people do? I'd love to hear from you :-)

1 comment:

  1. Last winter I stopped running from Oct-April. Then I felt like I was starting all over. This winter I have kept up running at least 3 times a week. I run on the treadmill (watch tv on my ipod touch). I'm a fair weather runner - only when it's sunny and the temp is above 40 I have ventured outdoors.

    ReplyDelete