Tuesday, February 24, 2009

The First Thing

Kathy guessed correctly!

The first thing you will need:

A notebook or a calendar. I like to use a weekly planner because that gives me enough room to jot down a few lines about my run. I prefer to use this rather than a notebook because a calendar helps me to plan out my running schedule from week to week. It's just a matter of preference.

In my planner, I write in my distance, total time spent running, the time of day and my calories (my watch gives me the calories). I also write down the route I went because I always think I'm going to remember, but I don't. If I had a particularly hard/easy run, I'll make a note of that, too. Or if I had any pain, I'll jot that down. It may sound like a lot of info, but it really only takes a minute or two to do this. When I get home from my run, I grab some water and my planner and make my notes.

Using a calendar is an excellent way to keep track of your progress, too. You will find that eventually a distance that once seemed impossible, is now easy. This is a great encouragement especially when you come home from a run where you just didn't feel so good. There are bound to be days where you just can't find your "groove" for one reason or another. There are going to be temporary setbacks every now and then so expect it. And, then be ready to put that day behind you and move on!

So, go out and buy yourself a cheap little calendar. Something that's small enough to carry in your purse. You can probably get one at the dollar store. The first thing you can write down is May 30 which is the date of the Freihofer's Run. Then, count back 9 weeks and that will give you the week we are going to start our training.

Go get 'em, ladies!

2 comments:

  1. Ewwww! I feel like a kid getting the right answer! That's a great tip. I use a notebook now but I am switching to a planner, which Matt got from work and is sitting unused in a drawer anyway. You are right about the distance. I starting running about 3 weeks ago or so, a 1/2 mile was VERY difficult. Now 1 mile flies by! I guess this means i better register for the race, huh, unless we are going to register as a team? I'll hold off until you let us know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kathy...way to go! You are doing so great. Let's wait until I know for sure who is in our group then we'll decide if we want to register as a team or not. I'll look into the cost difference (if any) and let you know. After we decide how we want to register, I would like to suggest that everyone register for the race before they start the training program. More incentive to stick it out! (I'll address that in an future post, too).

    ReplyDelete