Monday, February 23, 2009

Getting Ready

Let’s start to think about what has to happen in order to begin a running program. After all, there is a little bit of planning that has to go into this. I will try to take care of most of the planning to help get you started, but there are a few things I will need you to do.

There will be some tangible items you will need such as shoes, and things like that, but we’ll get to those later. For now, think about what has kept you from starting an exercise program in the first place. For many people, the answer is time (and the lack of it). Hopefully, the weather will get nicer in the next few weeks and you can begin to think about what time of day may be the best for you to run. Will it be morning? Will it be after dinner? Before the kids get home from school? There is no magical time of day that running is any easier. (Trust me, if there were I would’ve figured it out by now!) Everyone is different and you have to do what works best for you, your body and your family.

Speaking of family, let’s take a step back for a minute. Before anything, give yourself permission to take the time to begin a running program. As women, we tend to put ourselves last on our “to do” list. We say that we’ll take care of everything else on the list and then we’ll get to us. But, honestly, how many times do you actually get around to you? For any exercise program to be successful, you must be intentional about it. If you know you want to go running 3 times a week, then think about what days work best and stick to it. You can vary the days from week to week if you need to, but try to have a plan in place at the beginning of each week.

So, that’s it girls. Give yourself permission to run and think about when you’re going to do it.

Here’s a teaser….in my next post, I will give you the very first item you need in order to have a successful running program (and it’s NOT shoes). Any guesses?

5 comments:

  1. A water bottle? or pedometer?? or determination? I have already started. Today I ran 1mile without stopping. Friday I ran 1.5miles without stopping, but today I am still trying to recover from my cold and didn't want to push myself too hard, I usually for that when I do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's not any of those things. Keep guessing!
    You are doing great with your running. Don't push yourself if you're not feeling well, especially if you have a fever. Hope you're feeling better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not legs. It's an actual physical item that you'll probably have to buy (inexpensive).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is it a notebook to keep track of your progress??

    ReplyDelete