Tuesday, February 3, 2009

My Running Story

I am so excited to see that we're getting some comments and there are a few "followers" (Diane, Kathy, & Priscilla). "Follower" sounds a little odd, but that means you've made a decision to train for the 5K and that's GREAT!! Congratulations on your decision! Feel free to leave comments at the bottom (both for me & for each other).

A couple of weeks ago, we met at Panera and I told you how I first started running. For those of you who weren't there, here's my story:

I want you to know that this whole running thing did not come easy for me. As a matter of fact, out of all the runners I know, I don't think any of them would say it was easy for them either. That's the thing..it's hard for everyone so don't be discouraged when it's hard for you, too!

After college, I took a step aerobics class for many years. One night, our instructor told us she was running in the Freihofer's Run for Women. I remember thinking "wow"- I could never do that. She then said if we were fit enough for her class, then we should be able to run 3 miles just like her.

Hmmm.

Could that really be possible? Did she mean 3 miles all at once or over a few days? I wasn't quite sure, but either way, I thought she must be messing with us.

I don't remember exactly how I made the decision to try running (it was a long time ago - 1991), but I knew I wanted to give it a try.

On my first attempt, I remember standing at the end of my driveway and looking down the road to our street sign and thinking that must be at LEAST a 1/2 mile away, maybe more (I found out later it was less than 1/4 mile). My goal was to run until I got to that sign. I figured that should be pretty easy :-)

After running for what seemed like an eternity, (my actual time running was like 4 minutes) I finally made it to the sign. All I wanted to do was lie down on the side of the road and take a nap.

After I got up from my nap, I picked another sign and walked until I reached that point. Then, I'd start running again. A few minutes later, I'd be tired and have to take another nap. I was starting to get the hang of this....run, nap, walk, run, nap, walk.

And that's how it went. I did that for a long time. Each week I would run a little more, walk a little less. I was making progress. And, progress turned into confidence.

My point in telling you this is not to scare you. I'm telling you so you'll be encouraged. I basically did what I'm asking you to do. I won't lie, there will be times when you may feel like quitting or like it's too much. That's why I started this blog. So we can work through those times and encourage each other. It may not be easy some days, but I promise you, it will be worth the effort.

"Let us run with perserverance the race marked out for us."

1 comment:

  1. I am sooo glad that you posted that verse! It is a verse that pops into my head often, especially lately. I learned it in a pretty rigid bible study a ways back and that portion has been popping back in my head! I liked what you said about wanting to quit. This week I haven't felt very well and haven't exercised, except for Monday. I was talking to a friend about this running group and I said to her, "I'm not really crazy about running I just want to jump start me exercise, I can't believe people love this!" She told me many do, I'm hoping my mind changes, but for now I'm "running with perservance the race (God) has marketed out for me." For me, this has definitely came from God! I wanted to up my exercise, I found a training guide in a magazine and then Cindy told me about this. So here I am.

    ReplyDelete